Old 01-09-2004, 01:48 AM
jg

"Harri85274" wrote in message
I saw this segment on Home & garden tv channel about this substance, as I

was
talking to guests, so most of it went by me. it looked interesting. Anyone

know
what it is? Its suppose to expand twice its size and aerate the potting
soil...Is this an improvement over vermiculite? Is it expensive?

Hi all, I usually just read this group but I would like to post this topic.

I had some of those crystals leftover from centerpieces that I had made for
a wedding. I added a couple teaspoons to an urn that I planted for a
graveyard this summer. They are great! I can go longer between waterings. I
did fluff them up before adding them to the soil.

And they aren't that expensive. I bought a 45 gram package at the craft
store for $5(US).

As another poster stated, your soil level will vary depending on how much
water they are retaining. I would only use the crystals in pots that need
wet soil or are hard to water.

JanG