Old 01-09-2004, 02:46 AM
Françoise

Denny,

I love your story. Even when we have been gardening for sometimes, we
can still make errors. This year I planted Lavatera for the first time.
On the package, it was written to plant seeds in peat pots, which I did.
It was also written to plant the seedlings 18 - 24 inches apart. I did
not followed this instruction because I like crowded flowers. I planted
5 seedlings in an area 2 ft x 2 ft. For a reason 3 of them started to
lose their leaves (maybe eaten by something) and died, 2 were not
affected. Now the 2 lavateras are so big that they take at least 3 ft x
3 ft space and pushing the surrounding flowers away. I just can imagine
what it would have been if all 5 would have survived.

Françoise.

Nudest wrote:

I too am in Toronto Canada but very new to the gardening thing. My Mom
grew up on a farm during the Great Depression and still has the "green
thumb" skills. Anyway, I planted my own tomatoes for the first time
back in early June; I got two boxes of Ultra Boy and they were
practically giving the baskets away. I dutifully planted two sets of
plants and placed baskets straight on top.

When my Mom came over I proudly showed her what I had done. "I hate to
tell you, son, but you'll have to re-plant them!"

"How come?"

"You put four plants all together in one hole!"

"But they were packaged that way!"

Oh well, you live and learn. I actually had 8 plants and I dug them up
and re-planted. Good thing the baskets were so cheap. Nor did I have
to worry too much about watering over this very wet 2004 summer. The
tomatoes are now ready for harvest and I have been supplying family
and friends with very plump, round, red, juicy and scrumptious
samples. My morning BLT never tasted so good.

Best,
Denny