Old 01-09-2004, 03:04 AM
Ray Drouillard

Default Tomato Hornworm -- Moooa ha ha ha ha!

I had just finished feeding the chickens when I decided to inspect the
electric fence that protects them from predators. Since it is hooked to
the fence that attempts to protect the garden from rabbits and deer and
stuff, I decided to inspect that one, too. Since I was already out
there, I decided to take a look through the garden. I found a couple
cucumbers, munched on some raw peas...

And noticed that something had been pruning my tomato vines (which are
big and healthy and full of *green* tomatoes sign). Ah, the first
tomato hornworm of the year! Goodie!

So, I shook the vine and listened for the little tick tick tick. Ah,
there he is! Even though it was getting dark, I found the little
caterpillar easily.

So, I plucked it off, hooked the fence back up, and took the tomato worm
and a grasshopper I had found earlier to the chicken pen. They were all
sleeping, but my son's favorite chicken (the only one old enough to lay)
was only too willing to grab the grasshopper out of my fingers. After
that, I gave her the tomato worm. She had a bit of a rough time with
it. :-)

You might not be able to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, but all
it takes is a hen to turn a bug into an egg.

As soon as the corn is all harvested, I'll let the chickens out so they
can get some free protein. I need to fatten the roosters up so we can
enjoy some stir-fried chicken, roasted chicken, chicken pie, chicken
soup, fried chicken..... :-)

Ray Drouillard