Old 25-08-2004, 02:23 AM
Roy

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:43:35 GMT, "Robin"
wrote:

===I'm getting a ton of red ant hills around my pond; of course
===I don't want to use any ant killer. Any ideas?
===
===Robin
===http://community.webshots.com/user/robinandtami
===

I got them also, (fire ant type) and they seem to love getting under
ther small upper pond. The other area I have problems with around the
pond is my pump box which is basically a water meter or shutoff box
that I house my pump in the ground with. Its always nice and warm and
ants love it.

I have been usiing a white powder that is sold in a red plastic bottle
to kill fire ants, whose name escapes me now since its been ahile
since i used it all up but it was something like Prowl or something,
but anyway it started with a letter P. Its a fine white powder
(cautions you its hazzardous to fish etc) but all it takes is a tiny
teaspoon full on a mound and it starts working imediately. Within 24
hours the mound is dead, not moved, but dead. Then I shovel out the
loose dirt and replace it with new dirt. I dispose of the old dirt on
other mounds sufficient distance from the pond so they are not a
potential source of poison in the pond. As long as I do it when its
not supposed to rain I feel safe, and so far its been working. I do
sprinkle it around inside my pump box which so far has kept the ant
out of it for some time now.........

I tried hot water but it usually does not do much in the line of
killing the ants around here at least not sufficient to kill of a
mound. Graanule type of killers have too much potential to blow around
and get in the water and fish may interpret it as feed, so I don;t use
things like amdro and spectrum etc.......the white powder type stays
where put and all it takes is a little bit for about 24 hours.

Regards

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.