Old 31-08-2004, 11:06 PM
Robert E A Harvey

"Mike" wrote in message
Hi Tracey

Starting up on your own is a huge minefield

snip loads of useful advice

Some other tips:
1. Public liability insurance, as well as personal insurance, is a
good investment. Also insurance against loss of earnings for (say) up
to 20 days sickness a year. Backstrain, sprained ankles, cut fingers,
things in the eye do happen.
2. Check on the local weather statistics. There may only be (say)
160 days a year he can work, so he needs to budget to make a years
income in 160 days.
3. Have some fall-back jobs for the winter, or rainy days, even if
it's only washing and disinfecting wheelybins, drain rodding, gutter
clearance and repairs, something like that.
4. Always, no matter how difficult, present a smart appearance.
Polish the shoes/boots, wear the same colour overalls every day, and
make sure they are clean and pressed. When I drove a mobile shop we
had to go into people's homes so I wore smooth soled shoes, not
cleated boots. But steel toecaps are a must, and they must look
clean.
5. Be careful of the cost of advertising. The best investment is
probably signwriting on the van, the worst may well be local
newspapers. Not sure leaflet drops achieve a lot. Word of mouth is
the finest sales technique, so never do half a job.
6. Exposure. He's in the trade so he should know about sunblock,
hats, long sleeves, etc. But it's fearfully important in the long
run.