Old 01-09-2004, 03:20 AM
Roy

On 01 Sep 2004 02:13:43 GMT, EROSPAM (Ka30P) wrote:

===
===Hi Nasa,
===
===Water forms layers when it is cold. The bottom of the pond can be several
===degrees warmer than the top. Someone here once measured the temps with a
===thermometer.
===
===The still water is also easier on the fish, they don't have to work against a
===current.
===
===I'd go with the 55 degree temperature to stop feeding. That way you won't be
===caught by a sudden down turn of the temps.
===Go with the temperature at the top of the pond, just because it is easier.
===
===Bonus question: a) I know water flow effects water tempature -- could someone
===explain how?
===
===Darn, don't get to go for the bonus points!
===
===
===kathy :-)
===algae primer
===

Correct me if I am wrong but are these layers not referred to as
thermo clines? I can see a thermocline happening if there is
sufficient depth, but have a hard time thinking you would have a
thermocline in a pond of only 2 feet or 3 feet of depth, unless it may
be an inground type pond. I have to think an above ground pond would
be pretty darn close to the same temp most of the way down to the
bottom.

Can you tell I am totally ignorant when it comes to cold weather, and
I used to be a yankee at one time....but that was many many years ago.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.