Old 01-09-2004, 03:54 AM
RichToyBox

Your first question about whether to have the waterfall run in winter would
somewhat depend on where you are. I am in zone 7 and the ponders in my area
leave the falls running. We have had one winter that ice covered the pond
for very long, and that was the only year that the ice got any depth. It
will keep the water oxygenated and the hole in the ice.

Second question on feeding, 50 degrees is the temperature that I have always
heard, but keep an eye on the weatherman, if a big cold front is coming that
would knock the temperature of the pond down, don't feed for several days.

Bonus question, water evaporates, and when water evaporates their is a thing
called latent heat of vaporization that cools the water left behind. To
experience this cooling, step out of a shower in front of a fan. The more
splashing and the more surface area, the more evaporation. Higher winds and
lower humidities also increase evaporation. If the pond is warmer than the
atmosphere, it is like a coffee cup, giving off steam which is evaporation.
If it is cooler than the dew point, then it will have reverse evaporation,
condensation, like you would experience on a cold drink glass or bottle.
--
RichToyBox
http://www.geocities.com/richtoybox/index.html

"Nathan A. Smith" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I just have a few questions for the group concerning winterizing:

1. To run the waterfall or to not run the waterfall...
Pros: ensures a hole is available for stuff to get out if pond

freezes...
actually, waterflow should reduce chances of pond freezing
Looks pretty
Water tempature should be higher than if not run (true?)
Cons: Still paying electrical cost
Waterfall may freeze at parts, causing water to go outside of pond
--Is this really true? As a decent flow rate how does it freeze?

2. When to stop feeding...
-- Reports range from 55 to 45 degrees
--- at what depth do we concern ourselves with..(1' temp != 3' temp)

Bonus question:

a) I know water flow effects water tempature -- could someone explain how?

Nasa