Old 01-09-2004, 10:05 AM
Dan Hartung

Jack Kuddy wrote:
We purchased a newly build house several months ago which came with a
new lawn. This summer, we have been plagued by weeds. I spray
ortho weed be gone over most of the lawn every three weeks or so
which kills the current batch of weeds, but lots of weeds still
return a few weeks later. I need a longer term solution. Any
suggestions? Thanks

Weed-B-Gon should get rid of most of the live plants.

My first suggestion is to make sure you're mowing high enough. (Most
people don't.) Two inches or so at a minimum. Three (depending on grass
species, but probably a mix of ryes and fescues, depending on zone) will
shade the soil enough that the new weeds have a harder time coming up.
Mow no more than 1/3 of the grass height, also, so you don't stress the
new lawn (so mow more often than you are, likely). Water deeply and
weekly rather than light sprinkling, so that your grass develops strong
roots.

There's going to be weeds in new lawns. Just remember that *all* soil
everywhere contains weed seeds; what's critical is the environment you
give it.

If your weeds are crabgrass or other grassy weeds, you'll have to wait
for spring to do a pre-emergent application. It may take a couple of
years, plus some hand-pulling (use a weed fork).