Old 01-09-2004, 10:38 AM
Des Higgins

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:15:28 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

This plant is usually described as being half hardy. Is it worth
trying to get it through the winter by keeping a cloche over it until
spring, or must I make sure of rooting some cuttings before it is too
late?

I THINK mine is Bowles mauve. (bought as such at a plant sale)
It has survived in my fairly exposed but dryish front garden for
several years.
Any advice on successfully taking cuttings gratefully received. I had
no luck with about a dozen earlier this year.

Dave Poole already posted in details. I can only add that if it gets too
woody (which unhelpfully is the usual time you really want to propagate it),
cuttings do not take so well. I found it easy to take cuttings from but
that might have been luck. As Dave said, 3-4 inch stem tips taken now will
root easily. I just did them in gritty potting compost on a windowsill with
a loose plastic bag tied over. It can be a job finding stems with no flower
buds.

Des

Pam in Bristol