Old 01-09-2004, 11:43 AM
Nick Maclaren

By taking the **** out of them and refining it. Yes, I agree.

| Oranjeboom went first when it was bought by Allied Brewers in the
| sixties. It was bad already before the take over, the locals wouldn't
| drink it.

It still had some character up to the mid-1960s, as did Amstel for
a few years after that. By then, Heineken had little or no character,
but did still just taste of something. Once they were taken over,
they became indistinguishable from Heineken variants, and Heineken
itself started to go downhill in the Stella Artois direction.

| I've lived in NL since 1966, I don't remember a time when any of the
| three you mention were drinkable. In the meantime Heineken has bought
| up and IMO ruined the products of nearly all the smaller breweries
| that competed with them. ...

Hmm. Did you drink any mainstream (i.e. light, blond, gassy) lagers
in Western Europe in 1966, then? If so, which?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.