Old 01-09-2004, 12:59 PM
Mike

Cash in hand work is not recommended, it is uprofessional and
illegal...(WINK WINK know what I mean).

I very strongly go along with this. Be quite open with people, "Everything I
do goes through the books".

Cannot remember who it was, but they quoted for a job and the wife of the
household was dealing with him, telling him what was wanted etc. and when it
came to the price, she winced and asked if there was any way he could reduce
it. It was a big job and I feel it was in the Window Replacement field and
he didn't want to lose it. He had drawn a breath to say 'A cash job?' when
she spoke first, "My husband is a VAT Inspector and might very well be able
to recommend you".

The above example would possibly not apply to a 'Servicing Gardener' because
he would get to know the customers well, but there is always the first
meeting with a new customer!!!!

On another point, someone recommended Yellow Pages. Please bear in mind that
the order form you fill in for Yellow Pages could be for publication of up
to 2 years in advance depending when the order is made and the last issue
delivered..

Just a few more points

Mike