Old 01-09-2004, 10:57 PM
Phisherman

On 01 Sep 2004 16:43:59 GMT, (HA HA Budys Here)
wrote:

Well Fall approaches, and I'd like to trim back a pair (well, it once was a
pair, now it's one hugh clump) of ornamental grass behind my pond. They started
out as 1' diameter clumps of grass, 6' tall, - now it's one clump averaging
about 6' around. I would like to cut out sections and plant 8-10 individual
clumps in different places.

Is it simply a matter of using a spade and x-planting? Should I do this now, as
Fall begins or wait until spring?

TIA!

I've seen this done using two garden forks, back-to-back, to split the
plant apart, after removing it from the ground. The best time to
divide the plant depends on your location and conditions.