Old 26-08-2004, 02:02 AM
HFX guy

Hello Everyone!

Thank you very much for everyone's advice and suggestions! I am living in
Victoria, British Columbia where the temperature is about 70 F during the
day and about 55 F during the night (these are approximate as I am use to
using a Celcius reading). At present I place the orchids infront of my
balcony door (inside the living room), which is open, and allow a gentle
cool breeze to come in overnight. But during the day, I shut it back up
(for security purposes) and I would say that there is already a 10 degree
difference in the temperature...although I think I can do better. Even with
the door open, my apartment is still quite warm so that is why I feel that I
should move them out. At present I am subjecting my Cymbidium, paphs, phals
to this climate change. I have dendrobiums and other species as well, but I
lack the space to have them feel the coolness. You can see pictures of some
of my orchids he http://members.shaw.ca/hlmisc/orchidcollection.htm My
apartment conveniently faces the east (actually this was my big concern when
I was looking for a place to live) so I get a lot of morning sun.

The people who live a floor below me have bird feeders and that attracts a
lot of little birds which enjoy sitting and sh*tting on my balcony. They
have a tendency to rummage through my potted tomato plant so I 'm just
worried that they'll do the same to the orchids. With the regards to the
insects I don't think I will have a problem with slugs (because I live on
the third floor) it's just things like wasps, spiders and general flies that
I have to worry about.

Once again, thanks everyone!
Horace

--
Please visit Horace's Page of Eternal Art
http://members.shaw.ca/hluong68/indexf.html