Old 01-09-2004, 09:03 PM
gavin

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article , gavin

wrote:

I am very new to gardening so forgive me if my question is facile. I

got
compost bin free from my local council - it's one of those large black

ones
that looks a bit like a Dalek :-) I put my organic kitchen and garden

waste
in there. Every time I take the lid off I am greeted by a swarm of

smallish
flies (I guess they're not really "flies"). Is this normal? Would this
indicate that my compost is not well?

Yes and no, respectively :-)

Care to enlighten me, Nick :-)

Yes, it's normal. No, it does not indicate a problem with your
compost.

They are probably true flies, called by gardeners compost flies,
but could be any number of species. Ignore them. They tickle,
stick to paint, and otherwise make minor nuisances of themselves,
but so what?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks very much Nick. I must be pretty thick because I read your first
response as No, it's not normal and Yes it does indicate a problem with your
compost! Good grief - get a grip, man!

Regards,

Gavin