Old 02-09-2004, 04:13 AM
Pam - gardengal

"Mike LaMana" fake@MikeatHeartwoodConsultingdotnet wrote in message
I am no fan of chemicals - by a LONG shot - but I respectfully disagree.

It
is most possible to bring declining flowering dogwoods around. The disease
organism seems to be on the decline in many parts of the east in native
woodlands. I am guessing that there may be a hyporvirulizing agent that
attacks the fungus, as is often true of American chestnut blight.

Feel free to disagree all you want - however, your experience with dogwoods
springing back from this disease does not match mine. Or any number of local
certified arborists, tree diagnosticians or forestry personnel. Perhaps it
may be due to regional differences with this specific pathogen, however a
mature eastern or native dogwood in this area infected with anthracnose is
merely a casuality waiting to happen despite whatever treatment options one
chooses to follows. Once contracted, the trees never recover, although the
actual decline and death can be delayed with proper care. If you could in
fact bring them back to health, I'd say your services would be very much in
demand.

pam - gardengal