Old 26-08-2004, 08:24 PM
Stan Goodman

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 15:30:13 UTC, opined:
You're correct - it's the Bay laurel (Laurus nobilis) - not the olive.

Paolo

If you are saying that the wreaths I have been seeing on the TV are Laurel,
you are mistaken. They don't look anything like laurel.

I accept that they are made of olive branches, largely because there was a
segment on the evening news yesterday, showing a team of Greeks in Athens
who are turning them out for the medal winners. In this segment, one could
see that they were indeed olive, just as the sound track was saying. My
earlier objection to that was that the color seemed wrong; I now attribute
that to an artifact of color balance in the program transmission at some
point.

"Stan Goodman" wrote in message news:uViCr8LlbtmJ-pn2-Oq2BrhM5h4EM@poblano...
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 21:01:15 UTC,
(EvelynMcH)
opined:
Does anyone recognize what plant is being used for the wreaths with which
the Olympic medal winners are being crowned? It is certainly not laurel,
which is the traditional source of the branches for this purpose.

The wreath is actually an olive wreath, made of olive leaves, like those used
in the early olympics by the Greeks. The wreaths are proving so popular that
there is talk that they may be used in future Olympics.

Doesn't look like olive. The green is too bright. Olive trees are almost
grey.

The Romans .... The laurel they used is a variety of bay laurel,

I don't know what "bay laurel" is. The plant that grows around the
Mediterranean
is L. Nobilis, which is ubiquitous here. It would take over my lot, if I let
it.

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on

Saddam is gone. Ceterum, censeo Arafat esse delendam.