Old 26-08-2004, 09:41 PM
K Barrett

Well, that last line ("Am I wrong") sounded snotty when I read it later. I
didn't mean for it to sound that way. I meant it to sound like I was asking
for your opinions.

K Barrett

"K Barrett" wrote in message
David, I just look at it in terms of dollars and cents. US vendors can't
compete because the costs of labor, land, utilities, plus governmental
regulations (like being responsble for run-off from your property) make it
hard to turn a profit.. Not because they have an inferior product. I

just
hate to see an industry - which some say was created by and takes full
advantage of scientific research US taxpayers paid for - going off shore.

But I also wonder about Taisuco who bought GHs here and are now - maybe? -
bypassing the US vendors by having a toe hold in the US so they won't have
to sell to your local grower. They can bring in their own orchids in
medium, in spike and sell direct. No reason for Al or Pat Brennan or any

of
your local growers to be middlemen.

Am I wrong?

K Barrett

"David Edgley" wrote in message
Kath,

You probably don't grow hybrid Phals. The Taiwan growers seem to have

the
really good stuff. Their breeding and cloning programs are providing

truly
leading edge products that don't seem to be available anywhere else.
However, I don't buy from Taiwan but from the USA growers that import

their
plants. This is a bad thing? I am constantly on the prowl (via the

WWW)
for domestic growers offering stem props of their good stuff. OK, I

know
that I am highly selective in what I purchase but I WILL get it from

those
who can sell it to me. If domestic growers provide a superior product,

will buy theirs. If plants from Taiwan become more expensive because
Hawaiian growers get some sort of "protection" I will still buy the

plants
want - not something inferior from a protected grower.

David

"K Barrett" wrote in message
I see it as protecting US small business. One of my friends has been
involved with the Taiwan side of this article and sees it as efficient
markets. If you can't compete then you should fold. Well, I always

sided
with Old Fezziwig in 'A Christmas Carol' when he said it wasn't for

money
alone that one builds up a business, but to protect a way of life. Of
course you know what happened to Fezziwig. Scrooge and Marley bought

him
out for pennies on the dollar and put him out of business.

K Barrett
What will the next generation do with all those Harleys and RVs when

we
baby
boomers are dead and gone?