Old 02-09-2004, 09:37 AM
gary davis

On 8/31/04 12:28 PM, in article , "Sarah
Dale" wrote:

Matthew Durkin wrote:

Do you know if I would be able to get rid of garden soil at my local tip?
Is this kind of disposal normally allowed?
I have several sacks of garden soil that I need to get rid of, and will
have some more when I dig my pond foundations (next weekend?)

Hi Matt,

Here in N. Wales the local tips accept garden soil and rubble - it is
segregated into its own skip.

Obviously if you turn up in a van you may have problems (if they think
you're a commercial business trying to dipose of rubbish on the cheap), but
car or car and trailer will be fine.

I disposed of about 1/2 ton of rubble clay and sand from my garden in the
local tip over several car loads. I must praise the guys who run the tips
here in Flintshire - they even lifted it in to the skip and emptied the
bags for me - they are super helpful chaps.

HTH,

Sarah

Hi Sarah,
For heavens sake don't dispose of it give it to Franz...he can use some.
Have a look at this message (below) I posted awhile ago. He told me he has
only 6" of soil on hardpan and is trying to compete with his friends in
growing 'stuff'. What chance does he have?
He posts here all the time. Ask him if he can use the soil. Is there
something wrong with this soil? You didnšt bury your late husband in it did
you? Oh, well Franz will appreciate your contribution...he only has 6 inches
of soil on hardpan and he is 80 years old...so you will have to deliver.
Sorry about that.
It is amazing what we young folk are willing to do for old folk.
Gary
Fort Langley, BC
Canada

Hi Franz
As I said before it is important to know all, or as much information as
possible, in order to provide the proper information to help try to solve a
gardening problem.
Thanks for the clarification of the spelling of guarantee...I do have
trouble with words like that. I won't anymore with guarrantee...I mean
guarantee.
So you are trying to keep up with the Joneses when your soil is only 6"
deep! Wow, now that is a challenge. And you have a moss problem that turning
over gives temporary relief. You can't add 1" inch of sand because of your
age?
Surely, you must be joking! 6" of soil and you are wondering why you can't
keep up to your friends success in growing plants? Can you tell me how deep
their soil is?
Well, I'll take your story at face value and tell you that you need more
soil. I'll send you some...it will contain some bs but not more than you can
handle. Good luck