Old 02-09-2004, 02:25 PM
Corcoran. Bil

Default [IBC] Trident Maple Air Layer - Winter?

I have a larger Trident Maple that I have had an air layer on since the
end of June. From what I can feel/see it is doing well and producing
quite a few roots. I want to let it go as long as possible but as I
approach our fall and winter seasons I wanted to get some advice on when
to separate. With only 2 or 3 months until winter I'm concerned about
the tender new roots.

If there are a lot of roots should I separate BEFORE winter and/or
BEFORE the leaves drop or should I leave the air layer on over the
winter. I assume I'll have to protect it from real harsh weather either
way but I wanted to see which would be safest.

I am in Zone 5
Thanks,
wmcorcor

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++