Old 02-09-2004, 02:12 PM
Beecrofter

(HA HA Budys Here) wrote in message ...
Well Fall approaches, and I'd like to trim back a pair (well, it once was a
pair, now it's one hugh clump) of ornamental grass behind my pond. They started
out as 1' diameter clumps of grass, 6' tall, - now it's one clump averaging
about 6' around. I would like to cut out sections and plant 8-10 individual
clumps in different places.

Is it simply a matter of using a spade and x-planting? Should I do this now, as
Fall begins or wait until spring?

TIA!

Most ornamental grasses are going to be axe and hatchet jobs as the
mass of rhizomes can be quite tough, sometimes you can drive a machete
through the clump with a hammer once you have pried it from the
ground. The two fork method is better suited for daylily and easy to
seperate plants otherwise you will be buying replacements.

If you get enough winter to need snow tires do your divisions in early
spring.
There are still 2 months of good weather before the soil cools where I
am (CT Zone 6) and you could still get away with dividing now, it's
just not optimum.