Old 02-09-2004, 03:02 PM
Michael Persiano

If there are a lot of roots should I separate BEFORE winter and/or
Bill writes:

BEFORE the leaves drop or should I leave the air layer on over the
winter. I assume I'll have to protect it from real harsh weather either
way but I wanted to see which would be safest.

I am in Zone 5

Bill:

There is no right or wrong answer to this question. I have removed layers within 4 months with Maples. I have also seen layers in process for years.

Whether you remove it now and allow it time to acclimate to its new container, or keep it in place for the winter, you will need to keep the removed air layering or the layered tree in an environment where the temperature lingers above freezing, preferably at around 35-40 degrees Fahrenheit.

If the layering is well along (an this were my tree), and you can execute the removal within the next week or so, I would do the removal.

If you can add some Akadama to the soil mix and flush the potted layering with liquid Roots, this will mitigate transplant shock.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++