Old 27-08-2004, 11:02 AM
Ray

To say that the Lowes-type stores carry inferior plants may be taking it too
far. Some of their stock is excellent, others outright suck. It is very
dependent on the maintenance at the individual store.

There are lots of mail order places on the web that carry good stuff at good
prices, and some that are exorbitant. I've only had one plant available at
over $20 in about a year.

What to look for in an orchid? That's a much bigger question than you
think. In my opinion, it's sort of like wine - what do YOU like? Other
than that, and a million lines of "form" and "growth" recommendations - I'd
say that the most important thing to look for is something that will grow
under the conditions (light, temperatures, humidity, your watering
tendencies) that you can easily provide. That means doing a bit of study
and analysis, and reading, before buying, but it's probably the best in the
long run.

I wish I'd known that when I started growing orchids over 30 years ago!

..
"hi" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I've got a couple of beginner's books for keeping orchids and want to get
some. I've read that Lowe's, Home Depot and the like carry extremely
inferior orchids. This may be too much but is it possible to buy a decent
orchid for $20 or less? I'm not sure where to look for them. I live in
the oklahoma city, ok area. Also, any help on what to look for in an
orchid would be great.

Thanks