Old 03-09-2004, 12:29 AM
Phil L

Snappy-fish wrote:
:: Hi, I've not been gardening long and am looking for some advice on
:: a hawthorn tree of mine. It's about 10 feet tall, 12 years old and
:: gets plenty of sun. It flowers in the spring, but not very well.
:: By the middle of August it's lost most of its leaves - which seem
:: to have brown marks on them. We've had lots of rain this year. I'm
:: wondering what I can do to make it thrive again - would pruning
:: help? I would be grateful for any advice.
::

We have hawthorns growing wild on the other side of our fence, which
overshadow part of our garden, I dont think I've ever seen healthier
specimens and they get no attention at all!
We used to have a hawthorn hedge down both sides which was regularly clipped
back - I don't recall these ever flowering but they were very robust and
thick...maybe a bit of pruning would encourage new growth?