Old 03-09-2004, 06:58 AM
sherwindu

Ann wrote:

sherwindu expounded:

What's with you organic enthusiasts. Do you all believe the world is going to soon
end?
Pollution from our factories and vehicles is a much much greater threat than the
pesticides being used. When we convert all our energy sources to solar, nuclear,
etc.,
than I think we can worry about the pesticides.

So we're not supposed to take care of what we can, and eliminate toxic
chemicals from our soils and foods?

No, I didn't say that. It's putting organic farming way up there as the way to
save the world. The concept is good, but the fanaticism is not called for.

No, small market farmers can
right now take care of it, and they are. The organic gardener/farmers
are making money now, whereas the same can't be said for
conventional/chemical using farmers. Plus their produce is higher
quality; they aren't catering to the mass-shipping market, but tend
to either direct sell or sell locally so they can grow produce that's
actually bred to taste good, rather than withstand shipping.

Organic grown produce may have reduced traces of chemicals (that's why I
wash all my purchases), but there is nothing about organics that makes the
fruit taste any better, or hold up better in shipment. The organic stuff will spoil
as quickly as the chemically grown stuff. However, you can change the genetics
of a fruit, for example, to hold up better in shipping, like the Red Delicious Apple.
Unfortunately, that can reduce the taste of the fruit. Properties like taste and
holding
ability for shipment are in the genes of the fruit. Organics does not change those!
As I mentioned in earlier postings, organics growers are almost forced to select
varieties which are inherently disease resistant, to get any results with the lower
powered organic preventatives. Unfortunately, these fruits are not the very best
tasting varieties. If you pick a particular apple, for example, and grow it
organically
and also chemically, I cannot see there being any difference in taste or long term
storage abilities. I grow a William's Pride Apple which is disease resistant to
fungicides,
but I still have to spray it with insecticides. It is not a bad tasting apple, but
doesn't
compare to my other apples, like Honeycrisp or Ashmead Kernel. I will stick with the
chemical sprays to grow my excellent tasting apples, until the organic people come up
with a spray that can protect all varieties.

And
finally, the produce is coming down in price, as more and more farmers
enter the market.

I still see double prices for organic grown produce at my local Jewel Food Store.

I welcome and celebrate it, and know that people
who think like you are becoming fewer and fewer (thankfully).

Yes, but these people have never tasted a really good apple.

http:///www.biodemocracy.org

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA