Old 03-09-2004, 07:36 AM
Glenna Rose

Default Re(2): How long can I leave potatoes in the ground? (in leu of storage)

writes:

"Boboed" wrote in message
.. .

The longer you leave them in the ground, the more chance they have of
rotting from too much rain/water, and insect damage.

Which, fortunately for some, varies with location. I leave mine in the
ground until I'm ready to use them. Those that don't get dug (translated:
found), grow in the spring. Very few have been lost, probably even fewer
than if they'd been dug. Do note, though, that my garden has exactly
drainage and has been unbothered by underground critters.

This year, however, after reading the post about storing them in the
ground covered with straw, that is what I shall likely do. I will
partially bury one of those plastic barrels and store in it.

Glenna