Old 28-08-2004, 01:29 AM
David Edgley

K,

You might be wrong. I admit my view here is rather narrow and there is most
likely a larger picture that I am missing. But, I can only speak to my own
consumer activity. I buy what I like and it simply is not being produced
domestically. This means I am not a customer of the domestic growers except
as they import or create what I want. I am not doing my part to keep some
of these locals in business now and that won't change until they do.

I had not heard that Taisuco had built facilities in the US. So they are
following in the footsteps of European and Japanese auto makers. If indeed
the Taiwan growers are setting up shop in the US, they still want to sell
plants and my guess is the more the better. If local growers want to buy a
shipment in bloom to sell at shows or their showroom, it seems that Taisuco
or whomever would be more than willing to help. I guess I don't see how
selling a quality product hurts local vendors.

David

"K Barrett" wrote in message
David, I just look at it in terms of dollars and cents. US vendors can't
compete because the costs of labor, land, utilities, plus governmental
regulations (like being responsble for run-off from your property) make it
hard to turn a profit.. Not because they have an inferior product. I

just
hate to see an industry - which some say was created by and takes full
advantage of scientific research US taxpayers paid for - going off shore.

But I also wonder about Taisuco who bought GHs here and are now - maybe? -
bypassing the US vendors by having a toe hold in the US so they won't have
to sell to your local grower. They can bring in their own orchids in
medium, in spike and sell direct. No reason for Al or Pat Brennan or any

of
your local growers to be middlemen.

Am I wrong?

K Barrett