Old 28-08-2004, 04:21 PM
Matthew Donadio

Gary DeWitt wrote:
I have a milt going on its first bloom since purchase, unfortunately
by the time I noticed it was trying to bloom, the stalk had aparantly
become stuck within the leaf it was exiting. The stalk zig-zagged and
turned back on itself as a result. The first flower was allready about
to open (2-3days off)at this point! Having had disastrous results
handling small spikes on other plants in the past, I was reluctant to
fool around with this one. In desperation, I trimmed off the leaf it
was stuck in, just below the lowest bud on the spike.

Was this the correct action? Is there anything else I could have done?

Do you grow indoors? This happens to me somewhat often, and I believe
this is a result of low humidity. Your solution sounds like it worked,
but I don't think I would have tried it myself.

I use two methods to "help" the inflorescence.

1. I make sure the Milts get a very heavy misting in the morning, and
if I am home they get misting throughout the day. The water helps
lubricate everything.

2. After a misting, you can very carefully pry the inflorescence out of
the leaf. I avoid this step whenever possible since it is very easy
to do damage.

HTH

--Matt