Old 03-09-2004, 05:13 PM
paghat

In article Yq0_c.21852$3l3.20185@attbi_s03, "Pam - gardengal"
wrote:

"anna" wrote in message
om...
I plan to add a fence to my backyard, and am thinking to go to Home
Depot to get them to install the fence as well as purchasing the fence
from there.

If I get Home Depot to install the fence, are the installer or
contractor?
What values does a fence contractor add to the work?

Normally how do people go about adding a fence to their backyard? I
had already contacted the town to get a permit, but how do I find (or
decide on) a contractor and where to buy the fence.

Thanks

Unless you have issues like needing a retaining wall as well as a fence,
anyone who sells and installs fencing can do the job - no special
"contractor " skills required. If you are the slightest bit handy, have
basic carpentry skills and have the proper equipment, it's a job you can do
yourself with a spouse or friend

If you like the fencing styles offered by HD and the price is right, no
reason not to use their services. If you want something a bit more creative,
you might want to look in your yellow pages for fencing companies that do
custom work.

Be sure you know where your property line is located before installation -
if any question, get a survey or the placement could come back to haunt you
down the road.

pam - gardengal

I have a suspicion an independent company would install more affordably.
For window installation at least, we once had Home Depot come out & make
their sales-pitch & estimate for a single window. It was pricy, but
believing HD was cheap we just might've gone with it if the windows hadn't
been such clunky pieces of shit. So we went to an independent contractor &
got a better choice of windows & to our lucky suprise the installation was
less than half HD's estimate. I don't know if all HD installation work is
so wildly overpriced, as this was the only time I got an estimate from
them, but it taught me never to ask them again.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"