Old 03-09-2004, 07:09 PM
Warren

anna wrote:
I plan to add a fence to my backyard, and am thinking to go to Home
Depot to get them to install the fence as well as purchasing the fence
from there.

If I get Home Depot to install the fence, are the installer or
contractor?
What values does a fence contractor add to the work?

Normally how do people go about adding a fence to their backyard? I
had already contacted the town to get a permit, but how do I find (or
decide on) a contractor and where to buy the fence.

You certainly can build your own fence, but if you have to ask, it makes
me wonder if you know what's involved. It's not as simple as propping-up
some panels, and nailing them together. How tall is the fence? How deep
is the frost line in your area? Do you know how deep you need to bury
the posts? Are you prepared to dig those holes? Is there any slope to
the land between the ends of the fence? Do you know how to handle that?
Do you even know how to spot it? Six inches over sixty feet isn't always
obvious if it's a straight slope, but it can be a major issue when you
install a fence.

Get some estimates from some contractors. Ask them questions about how
they intend to do the work, and what obstacles they see. Besides getting
prices, that'll also give you some insight into what it'll take for you
to do the job yourself.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Books for your Northwest garden:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/nwgarden/index.html