Old 03-09-2004, 07:47 PM
dps

dps in news:41386766$0$565$b45e6eb0@senator-
bedfellow.mit.edu:

Leave the barrel of bleach open for a few days and the chlorine will
evaporate and you won't be putting chlorine into the groundwater.

or save it. i'd do the whole process out doors to reduce breathing the
evaporating bleach.

Outdoors: good point that I forgot to mention.

I don't think that the chlorine will stay in the water for more than a
week or so at normal temperatures. Even if you keep a lid on the barrel,
they're not really designed to be airtight. So sterilize all your pots
(and anything else that needs it) at the same time (within a couple of
days).