Old 28-08-2004, 06:43 PM
David Edgley

My interest is only Phal / Dtps. And the offshore breeders / growers are
producing a rainbow of opportunities for me. Harlequins, yes - and have you
seen some of the 4th+ generation Golden Peoker hybrids? Incredible! Also
whites, pinks, yellows, minis, spots, stripes, magenta with stripes (Taisuco
Firebird), yellow with stripes, minis with stripes, yellow minis, blush
minis, white minis, spots & stripes together (Leopard Prince), etc. Phal
types are 98%+ of what I grow and I enjoy their bloom longevity! I never
get tired of looking at Dtps Ever Spring Prince 'Harlequin' where every
flower is different! Can't abide Catt types although I have a couple. Also
have a few good Paphs whose divisions help support my Phal habit. So, I
guess we have differing niches and mine is more than adequately covered by
the Taiwan growers and anyone else who sells top quality Phals! I have
purchased non-Taiwan plants from growers in CA, TX, FL, IL, NY, WA, and
probably more that elude me right now. I vote with my $$$.

David
on beautiful Whidbey Island

Thanks for the engaging thread. I appreciate and respect the way you
"speak" your mind and challenge others to do the same.

I wouldn't mind having plants imported bare root and potted up here. The
thought of new pests is troubling indeed.

"K Barrett" wrote in message

Talking about consumer activity, what are the off shore companies

producing
that you want? ( I mean that conversationally, not as a challenge to your
taste) I like the harlequins or some of the phal species, but otherwise
I'm not a big fan of phals. I like flowers that don't hang around for
months and months. I get bored looking at them. I know, I'm weird that
way. Catts are the mass produced orchid that I like. And the Taiwanese
catts - I may be going out on a limb by actually stating an opinion, but
their catts are crap (IMHO) - they never rebloom like how they get them to
bloom at a show. So I stopped buying them because its a waste (IMHO) So
that puts me in the niche domestic market for my domestic catts and

oddball
species. I buy at shows rather than catalogs or online. That way I can

see
'em, LOL!