Old 04-09-2004, 03:45 PM

In article ,
Elie Gendloff wrote:
Excuse me, but only one side of the moon always faces the sun. See:
http://www.astro.umd.edu/education/a...on/phases.html

Excuse me, but have you ever looked at the moon?

The moon is tidally locked to the earth, not the sun. One side of the
moon always faces the *earth*, which is why the same features of the lunar
disk are visible from earth regardless of lunar phase. The moon circles
the earth in about a month, during which the visible surface undergoes a
complete cycle of phases. I.e. Any point on the lunar surface experiences
half a month of constant light and half a month of constant darkness. (This
isn't entirely true at the poles, but the generalization is close enough.)

But that would be good for growing plants because they could
photosynthesize constantly. Solar collectors would also be very
efficient on the moon - no clouds, constant radiation.

Constant light is not always good for plants, and indeed may prevent
them from flowering, which is a problem if your crop is fruits or
seeds. It may also cause premature flowering which is a problem if
your crop is leaves or stems. And because most plants are adapted to a
day-night cycle on the order of 24 hours, you can't expect twice as
much photosynthesis from 24 hours of continuous light as from 12 hours
in all species.