Old 31-08-2004, 12:40 AM
Tracy

Louisiana will grow above and below the water line. I have seen it grow
up from the water (Northern Virginia, Houston, New Orleans) and also in
well watered soil (Houston).

figaro wrote:

Been doing a lot of reading lately and I am getting conflicing info on how
to care for the various species of water iris. Some references claim that
several species cannot grow directly in water and other references refute
those claims. Then a third group mixes up the advice of the first two.
Help!

I am interested in growing laevigata, louisiana, ensata, and siberian irises
planted in permanent beds with areas above and below the water line in a
pond in a zone 9 location. Does anyone have first hand experience with
these irises and under what conditions are they growing for you (above
water/below water)? Anyone in arid climates trying to grow these irises
(problems/concerns)? Do you recommend spring or fall planting? Thanks for
your help.