Old 04-09-2004, 06:39 PM
Pam Moore

On 4 Sep 2004 05:55:33 -0700, (chunky_john)
wrote:

I want to plant a screen to hide my shed/utility area. However, both
are under a number of quite large trees, and hence are pretty shaded
for spring and summer. What could I plant to form a screen in such a
site? The screen will need to achieve a height of about 6-8 ft.

Does it have to be a solid screen? A quick easy way to get the height
would be to plant bamboo, as long as you make sure you get a
clump-forming one and not a spreader. Mine is a phyllostachys which
took over 10 years before it needed dividing, and was a tidy clump.
If you bought a few big ones you could cut the rootball in half to get
more plants for your money.
You could always plant some slower growing things in front for
density.

Pam in Bristol