Old 05-02-2003, 04:41 AM
YSL

Default How to fertilise waterlilies?

I get it that people using closed bottom pots for lilies, but how to seal
the top then? Is there any way? Like place pebbles on top? They won't stop
fertiliser leaking back to water. Thanks a lot.

YSL

"Howard" (remove XYZ) wrote in message

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
"Howard" (remove XYZ) wrote:

What do you mean by closed pots ?

I was thinking that maybe Ingrid had found some great new non spill,
koi safe pot. Sigh.

For years, I have used 3-gallon food-grade pails; they're big enough for
hardly lilies to do fine if fed occasionally. Available cheap or free

from
your local bakery/donut shop, since they get fillings in them.

I am using cut off 5 gallon pails for about half the lilies. They are a

bit
hard on the hands since the top part with the handle is cut off. I get
free 5 gallon soy sauce buckets from a local restraunt.

FWIW, I use a "Lilyliftr" to move them around: 10-foot hunk of wood

closet
rod with a screw hook in the end. The deluxe model has a stainless hose
clamp (the type that tightens with a screw) around the hook end of the

rod
to prevent splitting. It hangs horizontally in the shed on a couple of
bike hooks alongside the string trimmer when not in use. Has lasted for
years.
Right now all this is under at least a foot of ice {:-(

I think when spring rolls around I a going to build a simple crane to lift
the
pots out of the water. It is not too bad moving them around but getting
them
in and out of the water is a back killer. Maybe go down to harbor freight
and
buy an electric winch to make it easier.

I am also going to replace the gravel in all non lillie plants with pea
gravel.
Would do the lillies too if I had some way to fertilize them without the
stuff leaching back into the water. Gravel is perhaps a bit too flow tru
to use with fertilizer.

Howard

Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
www.albany.net/~gwoods