Old 04-09-2004, 11:41 PM
Mark

Pam Moore wrote:
On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 17:53:14 +0100, Mark wrote:

My tomato plants have blight. I've taken off the ripe fruit which don't
seem to show any damage. Are they safe to eat? Should I burn the plants
or can I take them to the council tip (not composting as I'm moving abroad)?

Where are you Mark?
This is the first year for 6 years that my outdoor toms have not got
blight, So FAR! But I have picked all the fruit to ripen at home just
in case, and have pulled up most of the plants. (They were stopped at
3 trusses.)
In my experience once blight appears on the plants the fruit may look
OK and are good to eat at first, but if you keep them a while they may
gradually go brown and have to be thrown out.

I'm in Southampton. I grew a few plants last year and they were okay,
but blight seems to come quickly (in a couple of days) so perhaps I'd
eaten them before they caught it.

Cheers,

Mark