Old 05-09-2004, 03:22 AM
Suzie-Q

In article , zxcvbob wrote:

- I went to the state fair today, and while looking at the exibits in the
- Horticulture Building, I asked a bee exhibitor how the bees were holding
- up against the varroa mites. He said the mites are becoming resistant
- to miticides, and they are mainly using "essential oils" now, along with
- new and improved miticides, so they probably have about 3 more years
- that they can treat the mites before all treatments become ineffective.
- Now here's the good part. They found some honeybees that have adapted.
-
- The worker bees search for infected brood cells and destroy them.
- Using artificial insemination, they are breeding bees for this trait.

Wouldn't wanna have that job.

- It will take a couple of years to build up sufficient stock of the new
- mite-resistant bees, but that's probably about how long we have anyway
- with the existing treatments.
-
- All this is based on a conversation I had with one exhibitor at the MN
- State Fair, and I don't know what his credentials are, so do your own
- research before taking this as gospel. But it's encouraging.

Thanks for the news.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~