Old 05-09-2004, 07:16 AM
Cereus-validus

Thank your lucky stars for coming out of your coma long enough to post some
irrelevant trivia for a long dead thread.

Everyone else has moved on to other things long ago.

We weren't talking about unusual European Apiaceae, we were talking about
Daucus carota growing in New Jersey.

That's odd, you don't come across as "normal folk" at all.

"JPB" wrote in message
On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 20:38:19 +0200, Cereus-validus wrote
(in article ):

The very fact that the plant smells like a carrot would be a blatant

clue to
its identity even to a blind man.

Well.. if you live in central europe, you will find a lot of plants like

this
(Umbelliferae, Apiaceae). I have - even with a book - sometimes big
difficulties to really identify them. And - a plant looking simular

(though
not in size) is Heracleum spondylium and Heracleum mantegazzianum - and

the
latter one is quite poisonous to the skin (Bergapten, Pimpinellin,
Xanthotoxin). Also simular a Aegopodium podagraria, Aethusa cynapium

ssp.
cynapium, Angelica archangelica ssp. litoralis, Angelica sylvestris,
Athamantha cretensis, Carum carvi.
So yes, a wild carrot is common, but not always easy to identify - for
"normal" folks like me.

just my 2 euro-cents

Hogwasher: You don't have to sacrifice friendliness for power
http://www.asar.com/cgi-bin/product....hogwasher.html