Old 05-09-2004, 09:05 AM
Franz Heymann

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Franz Heymann
writes
Actually, this does raise a rather serious point. My council makes
good compost and I use lots of it. What if unthinking gardeners

put
diseased plant material in the garden waste skip?
Does any urgler know what, if any, checks the councils do to try

and
minimise the redistribution of diseased vegetable matter?

Do your local council offer a description or a quality standard for
their compost?

I don't know. I will make some gentle enquiries tomorrow.

What I see at our amenity site suggests that almost
anything and everything goes into the 'garden waste' skip, but AFAIK
they do not recycle it into horticultural compost.

Yes, I have noticed that the "garden waste" skip contains a lot of
*very* heavy prunings, which surely have to be sorted out before
composting, unless they just shred the lot very fine first. I must
repeat that the compost looks, feels and smells very wholesome, and it
has worked wonders in my garden this year. (No veggies, only
ornamentals of all sorts) The roses, in particular, have done better
than for many years past.

Franz