Old 05-09-2004, 11:30 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Franz Heymann wrote:

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , Robert

youcanteducatepork@sp
amex.com writes

Yes they're safe to eat and the Counci tip is the best place for

them. You
shouldn't compost them just to be on the safe side

For preference burn them. If they do go to the local amenity site,

put
them in with the general waste rather than the garden waste, which

is
sometimes recycled into compost.

Actually, this does raise a rather serious point. My council makes
good compost and I use lots of it. What if unthinking gardeners put
diseased plant material in the garden waste skip?
Does any urgler know what, if any, checks the councils do to try and
minimise the redistribution of diseased vegetable matter?

I don't believe they bother. The main reason, of course, is that they
aren't required to, but there is also the major point I mentioned.

Would anyone like to tell me any common plant diseases that are likely
to get through the composting process? And why?

Please let's stick to the science, and leave suburban myths out of
this. I am not saying that there are none, but I am saying that there
are few, they are not normally major problems, and most of those are
universal throughout the UK anyway. While I am no expert, I am good
enough to be able to read the scientific references, and I have so
far found no candidates.

This is very comparable to the claim that the only thing to do with
honey fungus to stop it speading like something out of a 1950s B
movie is to pollute the top metre of soil to sterility. Well, if
that were the case, why are there are woodlands left in the south
of England?

Nobody is denying that plant diseases can't be transmitted that way;
what I am saying is that you are MORE likely to have them introduced
by the increasing domination of the road network. Yes, really.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.