Old 05-09-2004, 12:00 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Pam Moore wrote:
This article from HDRA I have posted here before. It is dated 1999'

Yes, but there are a couple of modifications for the soft of composting
that is done by councils.

Disease suvives the winter in infected potato tubers in the soil or on
compost heaps. The foliage which grows from these develops spores
which spread on the wind. Can come from many miles away.

As I said. This wasn't my source, incidentally.

GOOD HYGIENE
Remove potential sources of infection, especially ALL tubers.
Burn, dustbin, or bury at least 2 ft deep.
Same for tomato fruits.
A good active compost heap will deal with potato and tomato haulms.

As the commercial composters will shred the input, no foliage will
develop from the potato tubers, and none of the flesh of the tomatoes
will survive intact. As far as I know, blight can't be transmitted
through tomato seeds. Commercial composting is therefore an extremely
efficient blight filter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.