Old 05-09-2004, 09:58 PM
Warren

Crash Street Kidde wrote:
tenplay wrote:
My large backyard is constantly infested with weeds. It is mostly
grass rather than lawn. I can't use herbicides because my backyard
borders a wild bird sanctuary and lake. What do you suggest for
getting rid of the weeds? I have used a handy tool called the Weed
Popper, but it's tines are too far apart and often miss the roots of
the weeds. Also can weeds like dandelions reroot themselves if they
are left on top of the ground? Thanks for any advice.

What do the bird sanctuary and lake have to do with prohibiting your
use of herbicides? If you're careful and follow label directions you
should have no problem.

In some places it's illegal to use certain chemicals within a certain
distance of environmentally sensitive zones such as protected habitats,
streams, or lakes.

Basically, there are a number of choices:
1. Continue to weed individual weeds by hand,
2. Overseed densely enough to choke-out annual weeds, and pull the
perennial weeds by hand,
3. Take out the lawn, and replace it with a fully maintained bed
(which really does take less time than lawn),
4. Take out the lawn, and cultivate a more natural culture, such as
wild flowers or grasses,
5. Move

It's nice to get out of the city, and into wide-open space. Why not
enjoy nature? Suburban sprawl is often represented by the encroachment
of pavement and buildings, but lawns are artificial things, too.

If you use your lawn, for example, as a field where kids can play sports
that take space like football, soccer, or baseball, then a large lawn is
serving a purpose, and is probably worth the time to maintain it. But if
your lawn's only function is to be looked at -- well, that's a lot of
work just to have something to look at. And is a large, empty lawn
really that attractive? No more than a parking lot painted green.

Before you proceed, think about what you need, what you like, and how
much time and money you want to put into maintaining it. And with
restrictions on the use of chemicals, the money may go down, but the
time will go way up for a lawn. And if you don't have that kind of time,
the money can go through the roof if you need to hire someone to help.

Of course if the homeowners association also insists that it has to stay
plain lawn, and can't be converted to something more appropriate, then
maybe it is time to consider moving somewhere else. Being a slave to a
lawn too big to maintain is no way to live.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Books for your Northwest garden:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/nwgarden/index.html