Old 05-09-2004, 10:47 PM
Jim Carlock

So snipping with scissors will work?

As far as pulling the leaves off... should they be cut off.
Cut the top leaves off ?

Thanks much.

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to the newsgroup.

"Phisherman" replied:
On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 21:30:49 GMT, "Jim Carlock" wrote:
What exactly does pinching basil mean? I know what a pinch
is, meaning to compress painfully, or a small amount.

Someone told me to pinch basil. And the only thing that comes
to mind is to pinch and twist but what exactly is pinch ? Online
references mention to pinch basil, but I can't find a detailed
definition on what it exactly means.

Thanks in advance.

It means to prune the end of the growing tip. This will cause more
branches and more leaves. "Pinch" means to use the thumb and
forefinger to remove the pair of small leaves at the top of the plant.
BTW, I have more basil than I can supply the entire neighborhood. I
guess it was all those fish emulsion feedings I did last
spring/summer.