Old 05-09-2004, 05:15 PM
Bioboffin

"Pam8954" wrote in message
I have just purchased some extra garden space around my house.
Unfortunately
the weeds (mostly neetles) are extensive. I can't work the land all at
the
same time so have broken it up into sections. I have started to clear the
neetles and propose coveing in with black plastic. My husband thinks this
will
kill all the plants if we leave it until next spring. I am not convinced
and
think we should put some weed killer down first. What do you all think?

I was once told at an Ecology conference that cutting nettles down over a
period of two or three years would eradicate them. Having had them in my
garden, I'm not at all convinced! I would have thought that you might need
to leave the black plastic a bit longer than just next spring; perhaps a
whole year? Nettles can have quite thick roots which may resprout.

Glyphosphate weedkiller does a good job on them; but there are some
ecological issues, of course. (Like what happens to the breakdown products
of the weedkiller as it sinks through the soil into the underground water).
Please note, I'm not being judgemental here; I have used it myself in
desperation - it is just a consideration.

However, you should also be aware that nettles have about 40 species of
insects on them, and are one of the most important reservoirs of insect life
in the environment. (I think Oak trees are the winners with about 200
species, if I recall correctly). So, if you can stand it, you might consider
keeping a small patch, at least, for the sake of the birds, etc.

Take care,

John.

(Isn't it irritating how things like wasps and nettles are so valuable in
nature!)