Old 05-09-2004, 06:04 PM
Bob Hobden

"Pam wrote in message
I have just purchased some extra garden space around my house.

Unfortunately
the weeds (mostly neetles) are extensive. I can't work the land all at

the
same time so have broken it up into sections. I have started to clear the
neetles and propose coveing in with black plastic. My husband thinks this

will
kill all the plants if we leave it until next spring. I am not convinced

and
think we should put some weed killer down first. What do you all think?

Some of the persistent perennial weeds will not be killed in such a short
time, and they are the very ones you want out of the garden. Would probably
need two years.
Although I dislike using it for environmental reasons I would recommend
Glyphosphate (Roundup) which will kill all the perennial weeds (except
Mare's Tails). Used it on our allotments when we started. Just think you are
actually trying to improve the environment for a lot of wildlife with the
diverse range of plants you intend to have in your new garden.
Would be good if you could keep a nettle patch somewhere but ensure it's
well enclosed with an underground fence.

--
Regards
Bob