Old 06-09-2004, 03:50 AM
Jim Carlock

I gave the guy my best stupid look and he asked me back if I
knew what he was talking about, I indicated "I don't have a
clue"...

He showed me what the pinch was, but I didn't understand
what was going on. He indicated that pinching the plant makes
it grow more leaves. From the reply of folks, cutting leaves
makes more leaves, and pinching the tops is just to nip the
flowers and in doing so keep the basil from dying. If the basil
doesn't die, it'll obviously produce more leaves. :-) More
leaves is relative. If something else can be done to produce
more leaves, is "more leaves" "more leaves"? Which "more
leaves" is really "more leaves"?

It's always good to get more than one opinion. With that I'll
make like a tree and leave. Thanks.

--
Jim Carlock
Post replies to the newsgroup.

"Cereus-validus" wrote:
Why didn't you ask "someone" what it meant at the time they said it?

"Pinching" is removing the terminal growing point of the plant so that it
will branch. Its cutting the plant back by hand.

What did you think it meant? Stealing plants or grabbing their little
hinies?

"Jim Carlock" wrote:
What exactly does pinching basil mean? I know what a pinch
is, meaning to compress painfully, or a small amount.

Someone told me to pinch basil. And the only thing that comes
to mind is to pinch and twist but what exactly is pinch ? Online
references mention to pinch basil, but I can't find a detailed
definition on what it exactly means.

Thanks in advance.