Old 06-09-2004, 02:23 PM
J Jackson

Matthew Durkin wrote:
: Hi All,
: I've been looking for a while for a family pear tree grown in an espalier
: form.

This would be complicated in all the ways I could envisage it being done -
hence it will be expensive.

I've done a "tiered" espalier apple. The lower 2 tiers are one variety,
the second 2 tiers are a second variety and next year I can add a 3rd
variety. This tree already 6 years old - yeah I know it doesn't add up but
I had a few problems.

The other method I could envisage is grafting each "arm" with a different
variety. In a 3 tiered espalier that would be 6 grafts and over quite a
number of years (3/4 as long as you were better at grafting than me :-).

Other more complicated shaping and grafting would be possible but equally
time consuming - hence expensive.

: Does anyone know where I might be able to find such a thing? I would love to
: grow an espalier pear on my south facing fence, but I just don't have space
: for two - hence the family idea. There are no other pears near us, so I'd
: need to have more than 1 compatible type or a family tree.
: Any help appreciated,
: Matthew