Old 06-09-2004, 02:56 PM
Cat

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article , "Cat"

writes:
| I recently bought a composter (fancy name for four sides and a lid, all

made
| of hard wearing plastic) and saw on the instructions that weeds could

be
| composted in it...
| I always thought this was a big nono, but then thought that young

weeds,
| before they set seed, might be ok, as the heat within the composter

should
| theoretically kill them, and reduce them into the same organic mush as

the
| rest..

Well, I compost all mine, including ripe seeds, in a traditional
cold heap. However, I do avoid putting serious weeds with durable
ripe seeds in there (nettles, goosefoot etc.) Who cares about
groundsel and sow thistles?

Young weeds are never a problem in a 'hot' composter. Some people
have trouble with bindweed and ground elder surviving, but I don't,
and I compost lots of them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Best news I got all day :-)