Old 06-03-2003, 09:22 PM
Julie

Default Mature size of these roses

saki wrote

What clash are you trying to avoid? Form or color? White Maman Cochet
should not clash with Gruss an Aachen in either way, though to use them
together will add some pale tones to that section of the garden; Gruss
blooms are a lovely shell-pink/apricot at first but have a tendency to fade
after a few days, though not to pure white. Gruss's OGR form is quite
wonderful, IMHO, and its scent superb.

Color. I like highly contrasting colors like purple with orange, the
pinks are often close but clashing to my eyes. Your mention of the
apricot in GaA makes me think I would not like it near White Maman
Cochet.

I could even see planting a couple Gruss's and a Purple Buttons at the base
of White Maman; this would be an interesting contrast of tones from pale to
deep. If you're trying to hide White Maman's base, Gruss might be the
better choice because it's a tad taller than Purple Buttons.

I'm trying to cover the base of WMC, but not the canes on its trellis.
I find the canes very interesting, can't really describe it, but I
enjoy seeing at them exposed. That is so unlike me, who can't stand
to see naked roses, but it just fits on this one. (Maybe because it's
a climber and I think it should look that way?)

My other experience with Purple Buttons is that (a) it really likes heat,
and (b) it loves being in a pot. My Gruss's over the years have endured
being in a pot but really like the ground. I don't know if this helps (and
my So Cal experiences may not parallel yours) but I thought I'd mention it.

It does help, I had considered putting PB in a pot at the base of WMC.
The pot would help conceal the base and give the roots on PB a space
of their own.
I will be able to keep PB plenty of heat, I only hope it appreciates
the humidity as well!