Old 06-09-2004, 04:28 PM
BAC

"Tim Tyler" wrote in message ...
I bought a new fig tree :-)

It's about 80 cm tall - and has got 13 green figs on it.

Photo:
http://timtyler.freeshell.org/sprout.../pot/fig_1.jpg

My question is: Should I remove the green figs?

I'm new to fig cultivating - but I understand that figs that form too
late to ripen will simply steal energy from the rest of the plant -
without ever being useful as food.

The figs are about 3cm in length, and don't look very close to being ripe.

So:

Should I hope for an "indian" summer. Or is it too late for these figs?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

The most prolific outdoor fig I know grows in a garden where successive
owners have not picked any of the fruit (those which the blackbirds don't
have, rot on the branches), nor given the tree any noticeable attention
whatsoever. They certainly haven't removed the little figs which tried to
overwinter (these seem to fall off eventually), yet the tree flourishes.

I don't bother removing them from my own trees, either, too lazy to try,
probably :-)